We were driving down the road when I saw this huge poster advertising that someone or the other was slated to perform in Bangalore in a month or so. Again. (Bangalore just seems to have these artistes, both international and Indian, swooping down here all the time!) And, as always, I didn't have any inclination to see that performance. "Why don't any of my favourite artistes come to town???", I cried out loud. I began to name a few that I'd love to see performing - the Beatles, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Jim Reeves... By which time, it struck me that all the above mentioned had one thing in common - they were dead. (Or atleast partly dead, i.e., the Beatles.) Trust my luck!
Then Simon's words came back to me in a rush. I thought it over. I realised that I too have an old soul! Here are the symptoms:
- As already illustrated, I love old music. The older, the better. And this applies for Western as well as Indian music. Because I've been brought up on a diet of my parent's music, and have always loved these songs. They are absolutely timeless!
- I also love old movies. My uncle sent across a few classic movies for my grandad to watch. He hasn't had the time to watch any of them as yet, but I've made sure I've seen them! I was mentioning to a friend the other day that I'd just seen a Bing Crosby film that afternoon which I absolutely loved. He hadn't even heard of Bing Crosby! And the film was so ancient that you could barely see or hear what was going on in certain scenes. But I loved it all the same. There's a charm about these films that you just can't find in newer ones.
- I love the clothes they used to wear back then. I really do. I wish there were more shops around selling plaid skirts and Beach Boys shirts and poodle skirts. I still live a large part of my life in capris. (Some of my friends have already been unlucky enough to see my tie-and-dye peace hippie-ish tee!)
- And lastly, a lot of my ideas seem to be quite old fashioned. I personally don't find anything old about them but a lot of people find my ideas quite funny. I'm very often told to 'grow up' or that I 'now live in the 21st century - it's high time your ideas grew a litlle more modern'. But the fact of the matter is that that's just the way I am. Call me old fashioned and I'll say thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment